Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dream Wedding, Low Budget

I’m getting married in July and, being young, I’m making practicality a priority when it comes to wedding planning.  It’s almost a game, a vendor limbo stick: how-low-can-you-go.  My official “wedding planner” consists of my reliable friends and family and, of course, my two wedding books and endless piles of magazines.  The wedding is a mish mash of my style and sense of simplicity.  My fiancé and I have been engaged for about a year and a half, which has given us the time to shop around when it comes to putting our wedding together.  The following are just a few ways that have helped me save money, but also allowed me to have my dream wedding!

Attire: A mid- summer wedding allows for lighter clothing, thus less material on which to spend money.  My dress is a very light, ivory satin and does not have a train, which is very satisfying in the comfort department as well as in my bank account. 

Ceremony and Reception Site: I opted for the all- inclusive setting for the ceremony and reception.  We will be married on the first tee right outside the country club that will host our reception.  This nixed the extra ceremony site fee and also added a convenience for me and my guests.  The club also happens to be one of the cheapest venues in the area, which further convinced us to sign the contract. 

Music: We hired friends of the family to handle both our ceremony and reception music.  Our reception will include a three- piece ensemble, headed by a man who gave my fiancé saxophone lessons in high school.  Their music is brilliant! Another friend of ours is acting as our MC, and DJ-ing with the music that we have collected ourselves! It’s a great way to save money by using music you already have!

Photographer: Our photographer is a college student in our hometown area, who my brother’s girlfriend recommended.  Her passion is photography and, after looking at her portfolio, I knew she would be perfect.  I know I can work with her to make sure we capture all the moments of the day, and I don’t have to worry about a professional photographer’s fees!

Stationary: In the fall, I went to a bridal expo with my mother, sister, and grandmother and happened upon a girl around my age with a stationary exhibit.  The bright colors and unique style of her work caught my eye.  She started her business because of her up-coming marriage and her lack of desire to buy expensive stationary that doesn’t represent her flair.  Not only did I love her display, but I am fond of her theory about why her business is successful: young brides typically don’t have the money to spend on expensive stationary and calligraphers, so she makes it possible to display your own style in your invitations while saving an extra buck!

For most of the remaining wedding details, I am working with people that I know or am close to in the area.  It’s enjoyable to work with people who I can trust and with whom I enjoy spending time!  I would definitely recommend seeking out friends or acquaintances who can provide services for your wedding; it will end up saving you a lot of time and money! I’m incorporating such ideas as growing flowers and renting decorations from a colleague whose daughter was recently married.  The purpose of my particular, yet laid- back planning is not just to keep a low budget, but to also represent my own style: simplicity.  After all these savings, now I can convince my fiancé that I absolutely need that shiny diamond- encrusted wedding ring! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment